Founded in 1950, the San Diego Opera has successfully become a respected member of the international opera community.
After nearly shutting down in 2014, they raised $2 million from the public. Over half of those donations were from first-time donors.
The San Diego opera company now operates from the following venue locations that are both within the heart of Downtown San Diego:
Both of these venues offer different performances at different times. This provides equal opportunities to the public to immerse themselves in the beautiful world of Opera.
Located in the heart of downtown San Diego, the Civic Theatre provides ample space for audience members to enjoy a live performance.
Balboa Theatre is just a few blocks south of the San Diego Civic Center.
Features of the Civic Theatre Location:
- 1,218 comfortably plush seats
- Raised above the downtown area at 11 stories tall, it's hard to miss
- Close to several delicious restaurants
- Nearby public transportation options
- There are also a variety of seating options in this classic theatre, including accessible-friendly seating.
Features of the Balboa Location:
- 1,335 fold-down plush seats
- A beautifully crafted 5 story building.
- Grab a bite to eat before the show at any of the nearby restaurants
- Accessible by public transportation
Surrounded by more dining options, this location would be great for a night on the town with your loved ones.
However, both locations are less than 10 minutes away from Balboa Park. If you want to make this a day trip, grab a Go San Diego Card in advance! This pass will save you money as you experience San Diego's finest attractions. You can save up to 55% on over 50 attractions and experiences in San Diego.
You could enjoy the Museum of Making Music before taking a San Diego City Tour. After that, grab a bite to eat and continue onto one of the Opera Theatres to immerse yourself in the power-packed vocals of the Grand Opera.